Pages

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Moving on

Invigorated by our trip to KidLitCon, ready or not, we're moving on!

Booksclipart 
On June 30, we posted our preliminary reading list of seven possible Newbery Medal contenders. Since July, we've been discussing these seven books and winners of the past.

In August, we posted a Survey Monkey link to allow voting for your top three choices.  A #1 vote was worth 3 points, a #2 vote was worth 2 points, a #3 vote was worth 1 point.  The results of our (somewhat limited) sample are as follows:

  1. Lions of Little Rock
  2. May B.
  3. Wonder
Hopefully you'll see one of your favorites there!
(Because the number of votes was few, we're willing to revisit other first round titles at a later time.)

Thanks to everyone who participated in reading our Round 1 choices - great books all!

Round 2:

Here are our proposals for the next round (alphabetically by title):
 
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente (keeping in mind that this book is a sequel and will only be eligible if it has merit as a stand-alone)
  • The Great Unexpected by Sharon Creech
  • Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
  • Starry River of the Sky by Grace Lin
  • Your suggestions!

Others that we are pondering, but not agreed upon are:
  • Liar and Spy by Rebecca Stead
  • No Crystal Stair by Vaunda Nelson
  • Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale
  • (We'd like to add a nonfiction title, but have not agreed on which one(s) to choose - Bomb? Temple Grandin?)
So, what do you think?  Are you up to the task?  What suggestions do you have for our second list?

6 comments:

  1. May I put forth for consideration Child of the Mountains by Marilyn Sue Shank

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in the discussion. I think we'll need a majority vote to add a new title. I'm not familiar with this one. Comments, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read it yet, either. The setting makes me want to read it. Are there any reviews out there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a review from Kirkus: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/marilyn-sue-shank/child-mountains/#review. I also feel that this book is worth discussing. Any other opinions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wondering if anyone has read Son by Lois Lowry? Could that be a contender? I enjoyed it and liked how it brought the other 3 books together. I just wonder if it might be a little past the Newbery criteria. The main character is in her teens and most of the other characters are adults. I would be interested in hearing other people's views and opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that Son is definitely a YA title with content that I believe would preclude it from being a contender, but acc. to Newbery criteria, "Children are defined as persons of ages up to and including fourteen, and books for this entire age range are to be considered." Could this book be appropriate for some 14 year olds? I have it on my pile, so I will reserve judgment.

    ReplyDelete